Sunday, April 08, 2007

Connought Place - Delhi's Heart

About two weeks back, we had some work to do in Bengali Market, which is near CP [well, CP is going to remain CP, however much the government tries to rename it to Rajiv Chowk]. The work done, we decided to go to CP for lunch. After the lunch, we just strolled about. Anyone who has been to CP will probably vouch for it - there is no place like CP to shop, and even window shopping is a lot of fun.

Pigeons having a feast of corn and barley

By late afternoon, we were tired of walking. The sun played hide-and-seek with the clouds, and the weather seemed ideal to sit and relax in the Central Park. With its well maintained lawns [though how I wish people would restrain from littering these], it is indeed a wondful gift of Delhi Metro to the Delhites. From our comfortable spot, we watched the bustle in the markets, people enjoying a day out on the weekly holiday, and a foriegner playing catch with two little Indian kids in the amphitheatre.

Activity - in the market and fun - in the park

In spite of the large lawns, the Central Park had only a few wilted flowers - which was somewhat disappointing, as this was the season when the flowers are in full bloom in northern India. But I did love the lamp-posts. :-)

The lamps

As we walked towards the Palika parking, where we parked our car, I espied some flowers atop the shops in the Palika market (the ones at the ground level, which lie above the underground market). I saw some people going up there, and insisted on going there too [I am almost crazy about all kinds of flowers!]. This turned out to be a roof-top garden, and this one had a spectrum of colorful flowers!




Flowers in the roof-top garden above Palika Market

The sun sets over CP

I just cant help wondering how magnificent the Connought Circle would have looked when Lutyen first built it - imposing in pristine white, sans the over-towering buildings in the backdrop and the ugly hoardings on its facade. Koii lauta de beete hue din ...

17 comments:

Cuckoo said...

Heyy CP has changed a lot !! Can you tell me where exactly were these pigeons ? And 2nd pic ? Looks like its been ages since I last went to CP.

And I just loved the red flowers !! So bright. Others are common though.

Mridula said...

Lovely post Sigma. It has been ages since I went there but when I was there, I too had the camera with me :)

Sigma said...

@Cuckoo: Yes, CP has changed a lot over last few years - Metro has indeed given a makeover to it. The pigeons were there on the pavement at a point in the inner circle. The second pic is that of Central Park - it was constructed by Delhi Metro right on the top of their underground station, in the centre of CP. Yes, all of these flowers are common ones - but they are beautiful :-))

@Mridula: Thanks! It is a good place to spend quite a few hours - and offers many opportunities to a click-happy person :-)

Bendtherulz said...

Very well done and Said - loved the punch line...we do tend to hanker for the good ol' days -isn't it.

Loved the pic where you took red flower in prominence and rest of the blooms in hazed. Similarly the other where you have kept the white ones clear and red ones hazed...!
Yeah - I agree those lamp post are cute...!

Pooja Aggarwal said...

My earliest memories of visiting Delhi are that of CP and Pallika Bazar. Our family would go on a day trip, wander about and come back in the evening. It was fun to see my mom bargain at Pallika Bazar. And loved the ice-creams at Nirula's.

Its been a long time since I went there now. Almost 10 years. Wow! your post made me all nostalgic about the place.

Kalyan Panja said...

WoWWW...those are some really wonderfully captured shots!
simply superb!

Sigma said...

@BTR: Thanks! I am trying to experiment - and this is a trick I have just learnt :-D

@Pooja: Glad to make you recall your good old days :-)) But if you go there now, you will find it completely changed!

@Kalyan: Thanks a lot!! :-D

Shruti said...

Hi dear, thnaks for visiting to my blog and giveing ur wonderful thought..and ur travel is really very interesting...Nice description of CP..i never noticed that flower above the palika mrkt..but will surely pay attention whenever i got a chance to visist there..
take care...

Anonymous said...

The pics are looking really Good. Did you play with Picasa or any software?

Sigma said...

@shruti: Thanks a lot for coming here! Hope to see you around :-))

@Pijush: Thanks!! I have posted these pics as they were clicked - I have not manipulated them in any software! Not even crop!! :-D

Vj said...

I liked going to Kaventers for milk shakes and there was a chinese joint where i used to hang(forgot the name).I had quite a few dates there .It is indeed a special place and still carries that old world charm .Iam not sure how much has it changed but i'd love to go there anyday and take two entire circles before cooling myself at Oxford Bookshop.THat is again one of my favorite places in CP.I love CP,truly the heart of Delhi

Maverick said...

And i thought the only central park is the NY one. Lovely blog you've got here, will make it regularly. btw i love the flowers which look like mickey mouse.i swore to use them when i propose someone, u'll get them for me na :)?

Sigma said...

@VJ: I haven't explored CP as much - so I am not familiar with all these names :-) And I have seen it change a lot over the last 6-7 years. I am not sure if you would still say that it retains it's "old world charm", but it sure is a fun place to be.

@Maverick: Thanks!! Do keep visiting ... although I am not so regular here as I am with Idle Thoughts :-) Blame it on the work :-D
"flowers that look like mickey mouse" - ROFL!!! I have known people comparing them with butterflies, but this comparison is innovative :-) OK, I will try to find you some whenever you are in need [btw, they are known to withstand tough winters, so you shouldn't have much of a problem :-)] And if I am not able to do so due to locational constraints, you are welcome to use the picures :-D

delhidreams said...

oye, palika ka ye kona to maine bhi ni dekha
hmmmm
sigma ke travel memoirs mein noida ka bhi koi kona aye to acha ho :)

Sigma said...

@Adi: jao dekho ... lekin lagta nahin ki ab itni bhishan garmi mein kuch bacha hoga ....:-(
Hmmm ... noida ... kuch jagah to ho dekhne layak :-)

Anonymous said...

Sigma, thanks visiting my blog, expecting some more pics to see in your blog.

Anonymous said...

Find complete educational information in Delhi like: Schools in Delhi | Engineering Colleges in Delhi | MBA Colleges in Delhi and many other info.