Sunday, November 04, 2007

The Wonder That Is Taj

Okay! The picture in the last post is the Naqqarkhana [resthouse] that flanks the Taj at the right, according to the Islamic architecture. And the next few posts are going to be dedicated to the great specimen of architecture, that is The Taj!

I might be committing a grave sacrilege, but the fact is that the Taj does not inspire me as a monument to love. However, in beauty, grandeur, architecture and engineering, I find it an unparalleled marvel. The white marble structure stands imposing in the lush green lawns. And though I have seen it a few times, on each visit, the first sight does not fail to strike an awe. For those who might not have actually visited the Taj, the pictures must look magnificent; but believe me, it is an experience worth all the trouble and hassle to visit it in person. The sight is such that cannot be described in words, on in any number of pictures!

About ...
(Click to enlarge to read!)

The Main Entranceway


Wah! Taj!!

The waterway

The Naqqarkhana
(As seen from the marble platform of Taj)

The Naqqarkhana again
(On its own base, flanked by two cupolas)

14 comments:

Lakshmi said...

beautiful is an understatement ..been wanting to go there ..sigh ! why is it such a hassle ?

Anonymous said...

WoW...some very beautifully captured shots...Taj really cannot be described in words...lovely!

Pijush said...

Yes I also have to.. :-)
I think it is masterpiece as Sahajahan built it for his love, so we can consider in that respect also.
Eager to see the next set of posts.

Lakshmi said...

happy deepavali...

indicaspecies said...

No words necessary to describe these awesome monuments! I've seen it in real but yearn to pay another longer visit.

Have a happy Diwali and may the festivities continue in your heart.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you that I like Taj more as the monument than as a monument devoted to Love.

GMG said...

Well, if your commentators have not been there, I'm not feeling so marginal anymore... ;) But I'll go there one day!
Have a great weeekend!

GMG said...

Hi Sigma,
Hope you're feeling well now.
Thanks for your visits and much appreciated comments to Blogtrotter.
Look forward to seeing your new posts... ;))

Bendtherulz said...

What I liked about your pics is that it doesn't seem to be crowded...! So you are lucky...as otherwise...you just see too many people....!

Anonymous said...

Wish you a very happy 2008.

indicaspecies said...

It's been a while, how come no new posts?

Oh btw, I paid another visit to the Taj Mahal. It was a misty day so even though the visit was good, my pictures haven't turned out very good. Will post more on it in due course.

GMG said...

And if I manage to get there sooner than expected?
Have a great week, wherever you are!

GMG said...

I suspect I've some chance to get close to this one rather sooner than later...
I'll be absent for a while. Meanwhile, leave you with a somehow surprising post at Blogtrotter
Wish you a great fortnight and see you by mid-February!

GMG said...

Hi Sigma, I’m back after a short break… and still digesting a magnificent experience! After so many pictures and movies, you don't believe that your capacity to be overwhelmed is still so gigantic. But it actually happened; I was completely stunned when I crossed that gateway...
Thanks for your comments at Blogtrotter and hope you're feeling well now. I realize we could have had a cup of tea somewhere around Delhi; sorry, didn’t have much time to prepare the short trip. Maybe some other time, because I'm sure there will be another time!
Wish you a great weekend!