Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Agra Fort

Agra fort is a UNESCO world heritage site. With or without this distinction, it is a landmark monument in the history of India. It was built by the Mughal emperor Akbar in 16th century, and is still an imposing structure after four centuries. It is made of red sandstone, and is actually a small city in itself - a complex maze of buildings, chambers passageways, towers, balconies.

Today, quite a large part of the fort are out of bounds for the visitors, but the part you are allowed to visit is huge enough to tire one's feet but not the eyes!

The Entrance Gate (Of the four gates, this is the only one open to public)

Jehangiri Mahal (Jehangir's palace)

Deewan-e-aam
(The hall of public audience)

Inside Deewan-e-aam - The seat of the Peacock Throne

Taj Mahal - as seen from the Fort

14 comments:

indicaspecies said...

Oh, a great fort captured by the Mughals after the Battle of Panipat. Truly, this marvellous structure can never be tiring to the eyes. The Entrance Gate is called Lahore Gate or Amar Singh Gate. In the Agra Fort, I particularly like the Jehangir Palace. Lovely pictures.

GMG said...

Hi Sigma!
Celine explains the history; I just love and enjoy the pictures! A wonderful place, furthermore a wonderful view of the Taj Mahal!!
Meanwhile Blogtrotter is now on its last post on Santiago de Compostela! Enjoy and have a wonderful weekend!

Lakshmi said...

good to see you posting again

Ash said...

Breath-taking! Brings back memories. I visited Agra Fort in 2003 I think. It was hot!

GMG said...

No news, good news?

GMG said...

Hi Sigma! 2008.08.08 is a very special day for Blogtrotter. So, before I start commemorating, let me just tell you how much I appreciate your comments on my blogs! Thanks a lot!
Have a great day and a wonderful weekend!

GMG said...

Hi Sigma! First of all many thanks for your comment on my post of 08.08.08 at 08h08 at Blogtrotter, now in Kos, Greece! It was great to read you there. Second, sorry for the long delay to come here, but August was a terribly busy month, as everybody else seems to be in vacation… ;))
Anyhow, it seems that you have also been very busy...
Wish you a great weekend!

Sirensongs said...

Thanks for the link, Shalini! I managed to see Taj this year without seeing Agra Fort. will go again taking my 2 sisters from US in November....also looking forward to Fatehpur Sikri.

Anonymous said...

Great Pics. I love the one of the gate, I especially love the fact that the entrance is on a tilt. Also I found a cool website that you might want to post your pics/story on, its called baraaza.com
So check it out, and keep the great pics coming!

YOSEE said...

a wonderful monument, isnt it !

Mridula said...

Happy Diwali Sigma.

GMG said...

Hi Sigma!
You can’t imagine what you’re missing at Blogtrotter now! Lol!! ;))
Have a great weekend!

GMG said...

Hi Sigma!
Sorry I couldn’t visit you for the I'm getting closer... One of the most beautiful Forts in India waits you and your comments at Blogtrotter: – The Amber Fort! Enjoy and have a great weekend!

Savaari said...

Thanks for remembering my those days when I was in Agra and enjoyed this place.