Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Garden of Five Senses

Garden of Five Senses or Saidullajab Garden is located near Saket in New Delhi. I was interested in visiting it since it had been constructed a few years earlier, but didn’t manage to do so for quite some time. The first time Nitin and I visited the garden last year (during our pre-digital days ;-) ), the spring was almost at its end, so there there were not very many flowers in bloom. However, we were quite impressed by the partially landscaped garden spread over quite a large area. An idle weekend in Feb, we made another impromptu visit to the garden, expecting a beautiful flowering season. Our expectations were more than fulfilled – the place was a riot of colors – a flower festival was on!!!

Some interesting sculptures enhance the charm of the place.


The huge wind-chime in the centre of the pond looks beautiful. At the time of the flower festival, the water was covered with flowers floating on it.


Here we saw the most amazing Dahlias.


This was the first time I saw a Japanese miniature garden.


The flower arrangements included an assortment of a wide variety of beautiful flowers - Zerbera, Lily, Ribbon flower, Rose (some pics posted here). The others were Pansy, Carnation, Bell flower, Gladiola (and many other names that I forgot!)





Pansies come in many beautiful color combinations, but the ones I loved most were these white and purple ones.

Then there were these colorful arrangements.




And here are some violets and carnations looking pretty.


15 comments:

Vj said...

fanastic.I just loved it.
Iam going there for sure.
thanks for sharing and introducing such a wonderful place

Vj said...

Hey Shalini
waitin for more..

The thinking thinker said...

Kool pics!!!
Man I want to come back to Delhi soooo much!!!
:-)

Anonymous said...

Don't want to say - what you already know...they are such lovely pics.
I liked the close up of Dahlia - I have one pic of Dhalia...( it's like baby photo in comparison to this...lol...)
When was this visit - I mean which month...!

Sigma said...

Thank you so much !
The visit was in Feb end - and there was this flower festival on! In the morning we had also gone to the Mughal Gardens (they open to public for a short duration in an year) - it was good, but nowhere in comparison to this one, owing to the flower festival.

Anonymous said...

thx 4 info , hope not to miss this coming year - also its such crying shame that due to such tight security they don't allow to take any pics( Mughal gardens)...I was there this year - I had read all about this garden long back in my text book....so I was not too happy when they didn't allow us to take camera inside.

Anonymous said...

You might be aware - still - there is a qwalli and sufi night thingy going on 10th Dec @ Garden of 5 senses.

Sigma said...

Ya ... it is really a shame that they do not allow cameras inside the mughal gardens ... they even keep the mobiles, and ladies' purses. but then, the president's residence is right there, a few feet away, and they cant take much chance.

I read about that event, but could not plan to attend. Did you go there, and if so, how did you like it ? Me, I am more interested in poetry and ghazals, than qawwali etc.

Anonymous said...

Nah...I was too tired..after watching Babul a night before..he he he...!

Aha Ghazals...I somehow don't have much liking for this form of singing..strange??

Sigma said...

Who said anything about singing ? ;-)
As a matter of fact, I also like Ghazals as a form of music only some times. I immensely like Ghazal as a form of poetry. In a poem (most of the hindi or english poems, at any rate), the entire poem, some times an epic poem, is centralized around a single theme. And although I absolutely love hindi poetry, I must say that there are very few themes there. On the other hand, in a ghazal, each 'sher' can have a different idea, a different philosophy. And the ideas represented in ghazals span a vast range.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm- my legs got pulled very nicely...:-)
BTW - thx for sharing your inner thoughts on this form of poetry. Yeah you are right , if spoken more as poetry or a sher...I do like it.Its actually singing which I just don't get it. (My SIL she is extremely fond of ghajals - I like when she sings) but beside that I just don't get it :-(

Sigma said...

I did not have an intention of leg pulling :-) But since you felt that way, I might as well smile :-)

Thanks for nothing ... if there is someone willing enough to listen, I am happy enough to share my opinion :-D

Reeta Skeeter said...

Thank u!! My search for a good post on The garden of five senses was sort of satisfied after I read ur post... can u pls tell me wot else is there except the beautiful flowers and sculptures... the chimes look lovely... I soooo wanna go there next weekend...Is there r restaurant in there?

Sigma said...

Hello Reeta!
I am glad the information could be useful to you.
Yes, there are some restaurants inside, right near the entrance, though they are not too good.
There is a small, beautiful sindial in there (the first vertical one I have seen), and in clear weather, from a small hill, you can see the Qutub Minar.

Reeta Skeeter said...

thx for the info! Cheers! Happy Blogging!